Episode 59 - Graded Exercise Therapy and Why It Doesn’t Work for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Recovery
The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence(NICE), in the United Kingdom, released the following guidelines in regards to diagnosing and managing M.E./CFS:
“The draft guideline recognises that ME/CFS, which is estimated to affect over 250,000 people in England and Wales, is a complex, multi-system, chronic medical condition where there is no ‘one size fits all’ approach to managing symptoms. It stresses the need for a tailored, individualised approach to care that allows joint decision making and informed choice.
Because of the harms reported by people with ME/CFS, as well as the committee’s own experience of the effects when people exceed their energy limits, the draft guideline says that any programme based on fixed incremental increases in physical activity or exercise, for example, graded exercise therapy (GET) should not be offered for the treatment of ME/CFS.
Instead, it highlights the importance of ensuring that people remain in their ‘energy envelope’ when undertaking activity of any kind and recommends that a physical activity programme, in particular, should only be considered for people with ME/CFS in specific circumstances.”
If you want to know the true reason why G.E.T doesn’t work and what to do instead. Listen to this episode!
Click here for the transcript
Here are 4 ways we can help.
1. Join our free community to meet others, be inspired, and get more recovery info - https://www.facebook.com/groups/cfshealthrecoveryhub
2. Watch the newly released past members "Guest Panel" Workshop where they share their top 5 recovery secrets - https://www.cfshealth.com/guestpanelreplay
3. Get our free most popular recovery trainings:
- Find your baseline - Stop pushing and crashing - https://www.cfshealth.com/baseline
- The 3 stages of recovery and what to do in each one - https://www.cfshealth.com/the3stages
- The "9 do's and don’ts" PDF - to decrease symptoms and improve energy - https://www.Cfshealth.com/pdf
4. Want to help professionally with a step-by-step recovery plan specific to you? Fill out the application form and the team will send you the details - https://www.cfshealth.com/form